Wednesday, April 2, 2014

making diabetes my bitch

The American Diabetes Association has determined that an HbA1c of 7.0% or less is acceptable for diabetics. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists says less than 6.5%. 'Normal' (non-diabetic) folks have an HbA1c of anywhere between 4.7 and 5.7%. 

From the National Institutes for Health : "The A1C test is a blood test that provides information about a person’s average levels of blood glucose, also called blood sugar, over the past 3 months. The A1C test is sometimes called the hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, or glycohemoglobin test. The A1C test is the primary test used for diabetes management and diabetes research."

A1c is the test Type 2 diabetics (I won't speak for Type 1's) live and die by, I am using that figuratively but it could also be taken literally.  When I was first diagnosed my A1c was 10% and my doctor told me (as per the ADA) that I needed to get it under 7, which I did within 6 months. The next goal was to  go sub 6 which I now have been for the past 6 years (5.9 as of Feb. 2014). So according to the experts I'm good ... right? Well, I am not convinced of that.

Complications from diabetes, and it is a grim list, are caused by the elevated blood glucose levels. It does all kinds of bad thing to your body ... some of which I am already experiencing. So (to me) it stands to reason that if I can get my blood glucose levels to those of a 'normal person' I stand a much better chance to delay or even prevent complications and perhaps lessen those I am already dealing with.

My goal is to get my A1c to 5.6% and ultimately under 5. Tighter control on the diet, more exercise and closely monitoring my BGL daily will be key.

Yo bitch ... your ass is mine. 






"My diabetes is such a central part of my life... it did teach me discipline... it also taught me about moderation... I've trained myself to be super-vigilant... because I feel better when I am in control."Sonia Sotomayor

No comments:

Post a Comment