Thursday, April 3, 2014

three things

I have found three things to be consistently true ...

 1) the truth lies somewhere in the middle 
It seems we live in a world of polar opposites ... George Bush was the devil incarnate, Barack Obama is the second coming ... and vice versa. But not just in politics. I do a lot of reading/research on health and nutrition and there is noticeable polarization there as well. No mater what the topic, the more heated the the rhetoric on either side the more certain you can be that the truth does indeed lie some where in the middle
 2) YMMV
'Your Mileage May Vary' was, I believe, originally a required phrase that car companies included in their claims of gas mileage performance that has now become widely used internet slang. This is something I keep in mind both when giving and receiving advice. What works for you may not work the same for me. So do not be offended that I don't do things just like you.
 3) everything in moderation
Moderation is eliminating or lessening of extremes. Kind of goes hand in hand with #1, but in a more practical sense. While searching for ways to improve my health I find I need to remind myself that too much (or too little) of anything may be harmful. When I first was diagnosed with diabetes I made a concerted effort to lose weight ... and I did. I did it by limiting my calories to about 700 per day. Big mistake. I lost weight but also all my energy and was starting to lose muscle mass too.
Buddha taught moderation as the 'middle path', a path of moderation between the extremes of self indulgences and self-mortification and as the path of wisdom. Perhaps had I learned this years ago I would not be in the situation that I find myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment