Thursday, January 8, 2015

2 years and counting

In case you didn't know the reason this blog is named "brain damage" is because on January 8th 2013 I suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and although I have not recovered as completely or as quickly as I had hoped I am fortunate to be alive ... something I am truly grateful for each and every day.

Let me share a few stroke survival statistics with you:
  • 10 percent of stroke victims recover almost completely.
  • 25 percent of stroke victims recover with minor impairments.
  • 40 percent of stroke victims experience moderate to severe impairments requiring special care.
  • 10 percent of stroke victims require care in a nursing home or other long-term care facility.
  • 15 percent die shortly after the stroke.
  • 7.6 percent of ischemic strokes and 37.5 percent of hemorrhagic strokes result in death within 30 days.
  • 22 percent of men and 25 percent of women die within a year of their first stroke.
  • 14 percent of people who have a stroke or TIA will have another within a year
  • About 25 percent of stroke victims will have another within five years.
It was made very clear to me that if I made some drastic changes to my lifestyle that I would greatly decrease my chances of a second (and likely fatal) stroke. I have made those changes and continue to work on recovery. I would place myself as having somewhere between minor and moderate impairments. I suffer from hemiparesis on the left side (leg, arm and hand) and although it might be hard to tell my cognitive function is normal. I am unable to work or drive but I'm managing to survive due to the physical, emotional and financial support of family and friends ... something I will never be able to thank them enough for and without which I wouldn't be here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment