Thursday, May 2, 2013

... as a bat

blind [blahynd]
adjective 1. unable to see; lacking the sense of sight; sightless

 I lost the sight in my left eye several years ago. I am blind in my left eye. Blind as a bat. Destitute of vision. Unable to sense light. Amaurotic.  Typhlotic. I can't see a fucking thing out of my left eye.
 
Yesterday I had a comprehensive eye exam and must say I was quite impressed by the high level of competence exhibited by everyone I came in contact with at the Reeve – Woods Eye Center here in Chico. I was examined/tested by 2 doctors and at least 2 technicians all obviously skilled at their trade. Prior to each encounter I informed them that I was "completely blind in my left eye". Without fail I was asked to "cover my left eye", to which I would respond "why?" Which always resulted in a puzzled look. When I got home I went to an online dictionary and looked up the word blind. I'm not the brightest bulb in the candelabra but I do believe I have a fairly good grasp of the English language. This is not the first time this has happened. Recently I got new glasses which, of course, required some exams first. They pretty much went the same way as the ones yesterday. 

It seems that people, even those in the eye care profession, are reluctant to believe you when you say you are "completely blind" in the left eye. Why would anyone lie about such a thing?


No comments:

Post a Comment